Username: Password:

Author Topic: Deckard's PKD Blaster In Progress  (Read 7896 times)

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
Deckard's PKD Blaster In Progress
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »
I'm very excited.  It's not metal and doesn't have any moving/working parts, but my resin blaster kit just came in.  I have wanted one of these since 1982!

There's lots of prep work, sanding and painting to do, and I may try to add in some LEDs, but check it out:

Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper.  That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
Re: Deckard's PKD Blaster In Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:54 pm »
[size=18]OK.  I got home last night from work after thinking about what I was going to do all afternoon about wiring in LEDs.

I started by drilling out the barrel as far as my longest conventional bit would go:

This did not take the hole quite as deep as I wanted, so I found a SUPER long bit I used for drilling guide holes for coaxial cable installations (through walls and from floor to floor) and drilled out the hole a bit deeper.

Then I drilled a slightly angled hole from the back of the gun near the top of the grip area until it intersected with the barrel hole. 

I carefully cut off the resin "LED" bumps and drilled 4 small pilot holes into the sides of the gun.  Then, in order to get the correct angle to meet up with the barrel hole, I had to pull the bit back so far it bit into the lip of the gun casing (which would be under the LED's).  This can and will be rebuilt with a bit of bondo and some sculpting/sanding. 

I didn't take any pictures of this drilling - sorry.  :(

I took a CAT5 cable, cut off the sheathing and used the fine wires inside to run the LED wiring up into the barrel and out the end.

A salvaged computer wiring harness yielded the main power wires which would be fed in from the grip area and all the way out the barrel to be wired in with the LED wires. 

When this portion of the wiring is completed, I will pull the main power supply wires at the grip and pull all the LED/Power supply wires back down the barrel, hopefully to disappear into the darkness.  If needed, I can force a small foam plug (painted black) in after it to disguise any wires that might be seen.

Here is what I ended up with:

Here you can see the wiring that will connect to a small switch and the 3V Lithium watch batteries beneath the grip (The LEDs are 1.5V each - 2 running from each battery in parallel).  I will most likely use rare earth magnets to allow this side of the grip to be removed and replaced easily for battery access.

[/size]
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper.  That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:11:35 pm »
I didn't take pics of the wiring during this phase, but I soldered, clipped and insulated all connections that were hanging out of the barrel (see above pics)

Then I carefully pulled back on the power supply wires and the LED wires (one LEDs worth at a time) and they disappeared back down into the barrel.

Here is what it looks like now.  No wires even visible inside the barrel!

This weekend I'll try to bondo and re-shape the parts that were damaged.

Deckard

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »
I applied the first layer of Bondo this weekend and did some light sanding.  Another layer will be needed to completely fill in the holes, but I think it is looking good so far:

Deckard

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:12:17 pm »
After a bit of time away from this project, I soldered up the LEDs last night (no pictures to put up yet) and tested with a battery and they all work perfectly!

The wafer-thin 3V Lithium watch battery that I will embed under the grip works like a charm. 

Next I will clean up the soldered joints with some sandpaper to smooth them out and then begin working on the battery compartment and grip assembly with a small hidden power switch.  The grip covering the battery will snap into place using rare earth magnets.

Then I must wait for warmer weather to begin the paint work. 

Once it is painted, then I can unmask the LEDs and place them in their final spots,and pull all the wiring tighter up into the barrel.

I'll put pics up soon.  This has been a fun prop to work on.
Deckard

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »
I did some painting over the weekend and pulled the LEDs into place.  I also hollowed out the grip to accomodate the battery and switch:

Deckard

Offline Deckard

• Skin-job
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:50:27 pm »
I got to the wiring of the switch and battery last night.  Here are the pics of the wiring and then 2 of the LEDs lit:

Deckard

Offline jfuste

• Nexus 6 Replicant (Basic Pleasure Model)
  • A collector
    • My Blade Runner
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:39:59 pm »
Deckard, I love this pics! They show all the process how to enhance a solid resin model! Nice.
You know my Fan Book project about BR props. Perhaps a brief sequence of this process could be included!

Offline panistefanin

• Skin-job
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:48:20 am »
I'm new and I'm interested in this topic. Thank you!
skypealternative

Offline Login

• Skin-job
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:29 am »
wow! ot looking amazing! is very similar