Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where is the limit in your collection?  (Read 6070 times)

Offline jfuste

• Nexus 6 Replicant (Basic Pleasure Model)
  • A collector
    • My Blade Runner
Where is the limit in your collection?
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:14 pm »
I wanna start this new forum (thanks again Niklas!) with a question some people has done to me.

- "Where is the limit in your collection?"
- "Nowhere... only Heaven is the limit..." its my answer...

And you? :)

Well, limits could be financial (obvious), room space (difficult to resolve, but possible), availability (Rachel dresses and coats are taken guy... bad luck!), etc.

I've started my own collection with a couple of movie versions. Som VHS tape and the first DVD release -the worse in the history I guess...-. Then, videogame appears -PC version- and I start to collect some more objects... Original book was at home from several years ago... I found Blade Runner sequels by Jeter... first in Spanish, then in English... DADoES versions pop up here and there... Catalan one... English... French... Ebay was a great tool to search... and find!!!! Onde day, some people were talking about Racon-1 walkies and Panasonic TV set... My first prop approach to the movie! .... mmmm It sounds interesting... and I begin to search ebay in a heavy manner... and googling too... One, two, three days... and I win the Panasonic TV.... then.... a pair of walkies, another one, and a third one!!!! (the 3rd never arrives.... lost in the hiperspace....). Two "real" props at home!!!

And the fever was absolute, fast, possesive... I have done more than 700 deals in ebay.... Several losts items.... several returned.... others were pure trash.... But, I follow my collecting path. No stop motion here... Ever forward, looking for new items and rare pieces...

This process involves money, OF COURSE, and TIME, and PATIENCE!!!! but... is very fun, happy, nice and firendly way to get people involved in a great hobby. I have friends in every corner of the world now... Some of them, good friends, close ones, and they help me in my hobby in active ways... (you know waht I'm talking about Niklas! :D ). Some aids me looking for items I cannot reach (language barriers, etc.), others, make props for me! (a great help!!! I'm not skilled in the prop making process myself), others brings me information about new props located or identified... It's a very fun process...

All this will be collected and published in a book format. Contributors are ever welcomed! And I expect to make more than one book... The number of props and info is HUGE and impossible to stop coming...

Well, as I started this post, where is the limit? Who knows.... This is only a man job.... :P

Cheers!

Offline jfuste

• A collector
    • My Blade Runner
Re: Where is the limit in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »
No answers to my question, but... I recently bought two nice pieces. Two recasts from original moulds used in the Tyrell Corp. pyramid. Some of you have seen my posts in my blogs and Facebook Blade Runner fan page. But I love this forum as well and wanna share my pictures and thoughts here as well.

Here you have the pieces taken from an ebay vendor:

Reference pictures to locate visually the main piece, the short one is "unknow" placed for now:

The storyboard artwork from Ridley Scott own hand shows it as well:

And finally, a snaphost of the letter companion received with the two pieces:

All this takes me to another level of discussion. Where is the limit for a collector? This item was not cheap at all. Unreachable for many of us.... till now. Fortunatelly is not an screen used, "only" a recast.... exactly as the original used, but the price was cut down 5-10 times.... so I was able to take it. And... question cames to my mind again... I was so mad to bought original production negatives some time ago. Price was very high... too much for me as well. But I made a great effort to take them.... A project was in my mind. A book about Blade Runner props... and these info was unpublished! so.... my financial effort was worht the value. Now.... one year and half after.... I'm still broken but... this picture set is good as was before.... These pyramid pieces are in the same level, but cheaper (luckily!). I'm in the process of rethinking the direction of my own collection, despite projects and future benfits a book could bring me back. In fact, I don't think in terms of money. I do it in terms of satisfaction and enjoy all the process between adding more items to my collection and be able to touch them and use them the way I want to be included in the book.

Isane. Is some form of illness what push me forward in this long path to Blade Runner greatness for a life!!!

Sorry if my thoughts are some fuzzy or not English correct. I prefer to say what I said, and catch your comments about, than be quiet and lose the ever usefull feedback!!!

Warm regards!
Joan

Offline ingels

• Replicant Friendly
  • Administrator
  • Nexus 6 Replicant (Self-Sufficient Combat Model)
  • Los Angeles, 2019 Staff
    • Los Angeles, 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:47 am »
Very nice find you've made there Joan, I hope you'll create some kind of lightbox to display them in.

The limit is a ever forward pushing thing I belive, it's first and almost how much money one has to spend that's the first limit and then finding objects can be a bit tricky since Blade Runner is sadly such a minor movie compared to the Star Wars franchise where you can get an item at Mcdonalds when you order a hamburger but this is what makes the Internet such a great place. First, we have ebay where you can find anything (and usually to a higher price than what you could find it for in a regular store), including a lot of Blade Runner items. If someone really wants to dig deep and find truly magic stuff I hope people visit http://www.bladerunnerprops.com where propbuilders AND collectors talk and sell items (what's really nice is that you'll find custom created stuff by fan's there which is truly magnificent).

Then as Joan says, time is a factor.. One can sit and browse thru a site like bladerunnerprops.com for days and find alot of "I want this" items (one shouldnt forget that there are FREE props available there too.. and here too btw, so once you start, add some time and interest into finding and aquiring Blade Runner collectibles then you can really spend as much time and money as you have, only the off-world colonies are the limits I guess.

As for Joan, I think he does a wonderful job aquiring and sharing his collection.. His job collecting Blade Runner items is a true testimonial that nothing is ever impossible when it comes to finding and aquiring Blade Runner "stuff".

And as you said Joan, one makes great friends too when taking up this "hobby" :)
Nicklas Ingels / Los Angeles, 2019 Webmaster & Forum Moderator
http://www.tyrell-corporation.pp.se

Offline jfuste

• A collector
    • My Blade Runner
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »
Very nice find you've made there Joan, I hope you'll create some kind of lightbox to display them in.

Yeah! Working in it. Some minor issues (I don't want to attach or glue anything to these pieces) but I will resolve them soon, I hope.

The limit is a ever forward pushing thing I belive, it's first and almost how much money one has to spend that's the first limit and then finding objects can be a bit tricky since Blade Runner is sadly such a minor movie compared to the Star Wars franchise where you can get an item at Mcdonalds when you order a hamburger but this is what makes the Internet such a great place. First, we have ebay where you can find anything (and usually to a higher price than what you could find it for in a regular store), including a lot of Blade Runner items. If someone really wants to dig deep and find truly magic stuff I hope people visit http://www.bladerunnerprops.com where propbuilders AND collectors talk and sell items (what's really nice is that you'll find custom created stuff by fan's there which is truly magnificent).

Money is an issue, of course, but I thing is not the first one. Said, you wanna have a Sidkit blaster, for example. Well, it cost... whatever you want, 300, 400, 500$.... Ok. If you really want it, you must save money from other expenses (except meal I gues.... :D ), or get some extra jobs to pay the bill. That's the way I bought some really expensive items, no other... Some collectors looks like rich man buying almost everything, from cheap fridge magnets to original screen used props (is an example), but unfortunatelly I see some cases when money becomes a matter than the collector must make bad deals to sell some nice pieces to refinance himself. This is not the right way, I think, to do things. But this is a experience learn path.... First, I was avid buying almost any item I found.... and paying higher prices for nothing.... more than 10 years after I make my homework. Compulsive, yeah, but reasonable too. When I locate an item I check some other possible resources before buying. Ebay is a great place to locate.... but many times not the best to buy. Amazon, Abebooks, and so on brings nice price reference in printed and media materials. Is a good practice checking these sites as well.

Propsummit (aka bladerunnersprops.com) is the very best place to find, check, learn and make good deals and friends about Blade Runner (also Alien)!!! For sure. And a "ruin" for all of us too!!! :D:D:D:D:D Many items in my collection have their origin in that nice community.

Then as Joan says, time is a factor.. One can sit and browse thru a site like bladerunnerprops.com for days and find alot of "I want this" items (one shouldnt forget that there are FREE props available there too.. and here too btw, so once you start, add some time and interest into finding and aquiring Blade Runner collectibles then you can really spend as much time and money as you have, only the off-world colonies are the limits I guess.

A collection is a time-hungry task. But funny too! Instead of wasting time playing a game, or watching TV, I surf deep in such kind of places, and the rewards are ever more satisfying!!

As for Joan, I think he does a wonderful job aquiring and sharing his collection.. His job collecting Blade Runner items is a true testimonial that nothing is ever impossible when it comes to finding and aquiring Blade Runner "stuff".

And as you said Joan, one makes great friends too when taking up this "hobby" :)

Thank you Nicklas! You now, my passion for BR (also other movies as well) is a wide path to contact nice people -as you- and learn more and more about miriad topics. My friends cannot understand in all this hobby, until they visit my house and watch all I have. The related items are sometimes more interesting than the main subject... and then, they almost understand me... :-)

Back to the work!!!
Joan